These are the ingredients you require for this delicious tofu tikka masala recipe.
- Tofu – drained and cut into cubes -200 gm
- Ginger (peeled and chopped)-1 inch
- Garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)-8
- Chopped tomato-2 (medium)
- Chopped onion-2 (medium)
- Cashew-10 to 12
- Black cardamom pod-1, if you can’t find black cardamom then replace it with 2 extra green cardamom pods
- Green cardamom-2
- Cinnamon stick-1/2 inch
- Dairy-free Yogurt -1/3 cup
- Dairy-free cream-2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/3 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/3 tsp
- Cumin Powder-1/3 tsp
- Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Salt to taste (my preference is Himalayan pink salt)
- Saffron -1 pinch (optional)
How do you make tikka masala from scratch?
Add one tablespoon of oil to a pan on at a medium heat.
Add the chopped tomato, chopped onion, garlic, ginger, almonds and cashews.
Fry it all for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add one glass of water, and stir.
Turn the heat up high and boil for about 10 to 15 mins, until everything is soft. Turn off the heat.
Once the mixture has cooled, put it into a blender and grind it into a smooth paste (do not add water or stock), put it aside.
To a fresh pan, add a tablespoon of cooking oil and heat it up.
Add the whole spices and fry them for a few seconds on a medium heat.
Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder to the oil and mix well.
Take the puree that you put aside earlier and add it to your pan, followed by the coriander powder and cumin powder and stir it.
Cover the pan and cook it for 2 minutes on a low-medium heat, keep stirring in between.
Reduce the heat a little. Whisk the yogurt and add it to the pan, keep stirring and cook it for a minute.
- Add the stock/water(1/2 glass), salt to taste and stir. Cover the pan and cook it for a few minutes on a low heat.
- Add the tofu and gently mix it, add fresh cream and stir.
- Finally add the garam masala powder, mix it and cover the pan, cook it for another 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Turn off the cooker and serve.
Garnish with some chopped almond, cashews, saffron and cream.
I promise, this will be one of your go to recipes whenever you want to impress or just have some real comforting tasty food. Enjoy!
So until Kim Kardashian gets her hands on this recipe, she will never be good at tofu tikka masala 😛
If you have enjoyed this tofu tikka masala recipe, then please share with your friends. Some poor folk are yet to realise how tasty a vegan diet can be! Enlighten them.